Sunday 20 November 2011

Why I distrust psychology


So I was in Waterstones (bookshop) earlier this afternoon and browsing the "Smart Thinking" section, which had some really interesting titles in it, and they all looked fascinating, nearly all of them books that inspected our minds, lives, some aspect of the internet or our relationships, the list goes on. And of course, almost all of these books promised a fascinating new perspective on some part of our lives. The thing is, how the fuck am I supposed to know what's accurate when everyone has different opinions on psychology?

The human mind is a very diverse, very complicated thing, and you don't need a degree in psychology to know that. The problem is, everyone as a result has different interpretations of our mind, of how it functions, or what makes it function best, of what makes us tick, of what makes us do the shit we do.

I am not a psychologist. My psychological understanding of the mind is very limited, so when a layman like moi browses all these books, all these insights, all these opinions, how on Earth am I supposed to know who's right? Even professional psychotherapists don't always get it right - sure, their opinion is a lot more valuable than mine when it comes to evaluating the mind, but at the end of the day, they're not Gods, they're not psychic, and they don't always know quite why something happens. They're human beings like the rest of us, and they can sometimes get it wrong.

I'd still listen to a psychotherapist, obviously, as their opinion has its worth, but if I ever went into therapy, I wouldn't take their word for gospel truth, just advice.

All of that said, I do like the area of psychology, and plan to study it at college.

That post made a lot of sense, didn't it?

~Love Leonidas

No comments:

Post a Comment

The comment form beckons. I will love you forever if you let me know what you think of this post! You may even get a cookie. Not a real one, but... okay, you get a cyber-huggle. You get something!

...Pretty please <3.

Total Pageviews