Saturday 19 November 2011

Weed


Leonidas is happy not this evening. >_>

So it started when a friend who doesn't contact me very much said hello on facebook, which was awesome, so we talked, and then it turned out they were feeling really great, and later it transpired they'd got into weed.

I am very anti-weed.

Medical usage? Yes, bring it in by the truckload for people who are suffering debilitating illnesses and want some relief from the pain. Recreational usage? Gtfo you leafy bastard.

When I talked to friends about it, three people all said essentially "It's better than tobacco/alcohol". But better is a long ride from good, and I don't think I'm alone in the area of the negative effects of marijuana. This is taken from an article on the National Institute of Drug Abuse or NIDA, which is an organisation that takes a look at the effects of drugs and their long-term usage.

"marijuana intoxication can cause distorted perceptions, impaired coordination, difficulty with thinking and problem solving, and problems with learning and memory. Research has shown that, in chronic users, marijuana's adverse impact on learning and memory can last for days or weeks after the acute effects of the drug wear off.2 As a result, someone who smokes marijuana every day may be functioning at a suboptimal intellectual level all of the time."

The same article cites research into the long-term effects as "inconsistent", but what the article makes clear is that addiction CAN happen. Although it only states that about 9% of users can become addicted, it means it's still a risk that's out there. And there are withdrawal symptoms alright...

But the confounding thing here is not the medical side of weed, but the ethical side. What do I do as a friend when someone I care for has got into weed? You could make a good case to suggest that I need to look into the medical side first before I explore this area, but that's why I'm not posing any definites about the ethics of marijuana.

What's more important, my responsibilities as a friend to help them, to try and encourage them not to smoke weed? Or my respect for their free will to let them do what they will? As much as I appreciate the latter, I can't go through with it; I can't remain laissez-faire to the issue of drugs when they're such a problem. But I can see why.

All of this of course throws up questions of how I would act in other situations; if I were to respect my friend's choice in this situation but not for a case of, say, suicide, would that be fair?

All in all, the whole issue is a real confusing one for me. I'm strongly against weed, and would NEVER smoke anything myself, but what do I do when it's my friend? Where are my duties here? What's more important?

~Unhappiness from Leonidas

1 comment:

  1. I'm for full legalization of marijauna. If you go by statistics you'll find that the chance of alcohol addiction for those in a healthy relationship is 8.9% percent. While those who have never married have a 29.2% chance of developing a problem with alcohol. Problems caused by alcoholism are as diverse and far reaching as those caused by marijauna. Alcohol usage has played a part in accidents, rape, abuse, and unwanted pregnancies and infidelities time and again. Not to mention the numerous health problems associated with alcohol addiction. The same can be said for any drug really.
    Those who become dependent experience withdrawal symptoms if they don't continue to drink, the same as you would with any long term drug usage. Alcohol is a drug, yet we legalize alcohol with all it's adverse effects and not marijauna? Again, if we look at statistics we find that in the Netherlands where marijauna usage is more tolerated only 7% of the population has smoked weed, while here in the united states the same can be said for 12% of the population.
    Yes, marijauna can ruin a persons life, and I know someone who's become involved with marijuana and ruined their life and the lives of those around them. I also know people who have died from alcohol by way of car crashes and organ failures.
    When I look at all this I can't really understand why alcohol is legal yet marijauna isn't. Where's the real difference here? Where's the logic?

    ReplyDelete

The comment form beckons. I will love you forever if you let me know what you think of this post! You may even get a cookie. Not a real one, but... okay, you get a cyber-huggle. You get something!

...Pretty please <3.

Total Pageviews