Tuesday 30 August 2011

Review - The Hunger Games

First off, reason there was no post on Saturday is because I'm an idiot and lost track of the time. But anyway, this was coming up in the first place, as one of my favourite books out there, so, here's a review of The Hunger Games trilogy, by Suzanne Collins :)

The trilogy starts with The Hunger Games, in a harsh dictatorship called Panem, divided into twelve districts. Each district has a principal industry such as farming, lumber, fishing, or, in District 12's case, coal. And each district has no choice but to participate in the most sadistic event in history: the Hunger Games.

Two children from each district, a boy and a girl, are chosen as tributes for the event, then put together in an arena to fight to the bloody death. The story begins in the aforementioned District 12, one of the poorest districts in Panem, that barely manages to scrapes by and claims only one live victor of the Hunger Games (who spends most of his time in a bottle.) The narrative is told by Katniss Everdeen, a girl whose sister is originally chosen to be the female tribute of District 12, until Katniss volunteers to save her.

You know how I know when I've found a good book? When it takes me a day to read 464 pages. I got through Forbidden and The Maze Runner that quickly too. All the way through the book, as Katniss prepares for the Games with her fellow tribute, Peeta Mellark, as she goes into the Games and struggles to survive, and... well, the ending ;), the story is - and I hate to sound like the typical reviewer you find on the blurb of every thriller, but - utterly unputdownable. Yeah, I said it.

Catching Fire, Book 2, and Mockingjay, Book 3, were equally amazing!

You wanna find out more, I highly recommend buying The Hunger Games :).

If you've read the book, then you may also be interested in my fanfiction story about it: Bloom (yeah, shameless advertising, go me <3)

~Love you guys, Leonidas

2 comments:

  1. I feel like a bit of a stalker now, but I was just clicking off, saw this, and couldn't resist! I've just read The Hunger Games and Catching Fire and have been waiting for Mockingjay for more than a week and it's killing me!
    I have two friends who said they'd lend it to me but one lent it to a friend of her's and the other just keeps forgetting or something. I think I'm going to buy it myself. I've already wanted to re-read parts of the first two, and I know it's a series I'll read again. Likewise it took me less than two days to read each of the first two,- they're very good! I'll read your fanfiction after I read Mockingjay :) (Alternatively I might just combust from this agonising wait, in which case you'll never hear from me again) Which book was your favorite? Are you looking forward to the film, or do you not like loved books being adapted?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also I thought you'd be happy,- I just bought Forbidden and am taking it on holiday :) I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete

The comment form beckons. I will love you forever if you let me know what you think of this post! You may even get a cookie. Not a real one, but... okay, you get a cyber-huggle. You get something!

...Pretty please <3.

Total Pageviews