Saturday 11 June 2011

LGBT

You'd think that in the 21st century, the age of scientific enlightenment and dwindling religious superstition, that this would be a non-issue, or something like it. But we're talking about the human race here. And, for all the intelligence that we pride ourselves on, we can be pretty damn stupid sometimes.

The Bible says "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination." (Leviticus,) along with a lot of other wise words of inspiration, including the manner in which we ought to stone a fornicator and an adulterer. So, it's pretty clear-cut that 2,000 years ago, people didn't exactly like you if you were a guy who went around sleeping with guys. Or is it?

The fact is, they didn't know about homosexuality 2,000 years ago. They thought it was some kind of sick perversion. It was only thanks to Sigmund Freud, the adorable thing, that homosexuality was identified as a separate orientation from heterosexuality, just a century ago. And here we are, with countries around the world that still punish being gay by death. You can argue to and fro about the Bible all you like, but at the end of the day, the people who wrote it did not know what homosexuality was. So how there are still people today who can convince themselves that all that is a sin is a mystery to me.

I suppose I had better explain the title. For those who don't know, LGBT consists of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, the term that's evolved to replace "The gay community". And transgenderism is separate from LGB, it's just included by convention. Transgender people can be of any sexuality, transsexuality specifically refers to a mismatch in the gender you were born with, and your actual gender. It's not "cross-dressing", that's transvestitism, and a whole different kettle of fish.

With the explanation over, I return to the question of just why this is such a big deal in society. LGBT has been a hot topic ever since it the ins and outs of it came to light. Only recently was homosexuality removed from a list of "mental disorders", while transsexuality still is. And it was even more recently that homosexuality stopped being illegal in a few major nations. There are still only a few countries, including Spain and South Africa, that have legalised gay marriage. At least six American states have legalised "civil partnership", which is a shoddy alternative to marriage that strips "civil partners" (as opposed to "spouses") of many rights that straight married couples would usually enjoy. Why? I mean, it's a step above Uganda, which tried to pass a bill that would allow a death sentence for homosexuality, but it's still disgusting that the LGBT community are treated like this wherever they go.

LGBT is still the cause of a lot of bullying around the world. Doesn't matter who you are, there are still malicious assholes who think it's acceptable to tease, harass, abuse or even kill people for their sexuality. LGBT is still even somewhat of a taboo subject in society today. But there's something that we can do about that, and it's something very simple: be open.

I am bisexual. That is my light, my rainbow. Those were the words I used at the end of a story that I wrote for an English homework, with the full awareness that my English teacher would read it. And it also happens to be the truth. I'm bisexual and damn happy about that. And if we can be open in this manner to other people about who we are, whether straight, gay, bi, pan, trans, questionning, or whatever; if we can do that, then we can fight the bigotry that clouds the eyes of so many. Because that's how you get rid of a taboo: you talk about it.

Normally, I hate modern music, and I'm not too fussed about Lady Gaga particularly, but I think the lyrics from her song "Born this way" really apply here...

"Whether life's disabilities
Left you outcast, bullied or teased
Rejoice and love yourself today
'Cause baby, you were born this way

No matter gay, straight or bi
Lesbian, transgendered life
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born to survive

No matter black, white or beige
Chola or orient made
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born to be brave

I'm beautiful in my way
'Cause God makes no mistakes
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born this way"


P.S. From now on I'll hopefully be posting a blog every Saturday, and maybe once on a weekday if I can't restrain myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The comment form beckons. I will love you forever if you let me know what you think of this post! You may even get a cookie. Not a real one, but... okay, you get a cyber-huggle. You get something!

...Pretty please <3.

Total Pageviews